Tuesday, June 14, 2011

RCE: 11 Tools, Tool 11: Self Assessing and Reflecting

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.

My favorite tool is Diigo. As I mentioned before, I think it is a great tool to use with inquiry based instuction/ research. I also liked exploring the iPad apps and downloading new books. I want to experiment with incorporating Today's Meet and wikis with literature circles in order to make the reflection and evaluation more meaningful to students. I would also like to connect to other classrooms, especially in other states and/or countries. The more we can get students connected to the outside world and engaged in real world learning applications, the better.

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?

One can always improve on teaching practices. I want to focus on finding authentic ways to use technology to increase student learning, instead of just using technology as a gimmick. There are lots of activities out there that emphasize using technology just for the sake of using technology. I think some of the referred websites and tools, such as Learning Games for Kids and Thinkfinity (in some regards) do just that. Of course, that is just my opinion.

3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

I guess I was most surprised that we had to take a multiple choice "test" at the end of this session. Just a little ironic.

3 comments:

RCELibrarian said...

i love the comment on the multiple choice test...as you have used so many tools...you are ahead of the learning curve!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I enjoyed your comment about the assessment. We have that there as a way to get people into Atomic Learning and hopefully see ways to further their learning. I hadn't thought about that perspective! ;-)

Thanks for the thoughtful reflection. I would love to come see what you do in your classroom this fall! I too love Diigo! Do you create accounts for your students through the teacher console? Do your students also add resources to the group? I would really like to know how you use it!

Amie Graves said...

I haven't used Diigo in the classroom yet, but it will be the first tool I try next year. I think I'm mainly going to use it to create a list of bookmarks that the kids can use for research. Last year, I facilitated inquiry circles around healthy eating. I didn't want the kids spending hours surfing the net, so I found most of the articles for them. Diigo will allow the kids to complete their own research on their topics while allowing me to choose websites that would be helpful. Plus, it will make it a lot easier for me to check the kids' bibliographies because I will have a list from Diigo. If you have any ideas for other uses, please share!