Sunday, June 12, 2011

RCE: 11 Tools, Tool 8: Taking a Look at the Tools

I'm very excited that we are getting Netbooks, and iTouches/ iPads! While we have access to them in the library, teachers will now be able to set these up as stations. For the most part, the kids are very familiar with using these devices. I also own my own iTouch and iPad, so I will have no problem incorporating them into my teaching. As with all things, teachers will need to provide lessons on how to use for and care for them.

Netbooks:

While I do not find these as user friendly as a full sized laptop, the kids are more flexible with the smaller screen and keyboard. When using these last year, we had problems when using GoogleDocs. Many strange things, which are hard to describe, happened. For example, the cursor would not show up on the page, the text on the screen would not correspond to the text being typed, words would flip around on the page, etc. Currently, we have found that GoogleDocs works better with the PC vs. the Macs (especially when using the spell check feature), so I am hoping that this was an issue with the SBISD version of GoogleDocs and not the Netbooks themselves. Hopefully all of these issues will be worked out by next year. On the plus side, I am hoping that having the Netbooks in the classroom will make using Wikis more accessible.

iPad/iTouch:

What's not to love? I will use the iPad/iTouch as a station, mainly to use with research. With the Diigo app, it will make accessing bookmarks for research a cinch! I have listed some of my favorite apps on the next post.

I am wondering if they will come with the garageband and keynote apps. I know they are on the Mac but it would be great if we also had access to these programs on the iTouch/iPad.

1 comment:

RCELibrarian said...

Skylar (one of the students in Pam House's class) gave me a list of apps that we need. I also sat next to Adrienne P. at the workshop this week..she gave me some more things to try. Hopefully these will all be on the "approved" list!
I can't wait to get all of the equipment!