Friday, June 10, 2011

RCE: 11 Tools, Tool 5: Producing with Web 2.0 Tools

I've used many of tools in the past, so I revisited those and then played around with a few new ones I was not familiar with such as Prezi and Storybird.


An oldie but goodie. Animoto is good about adding new themes often. Couldn't resist adding in this one I made of my son, Brian and his girlfriend, Andrea which displays one of Animoto's newer themes. Animoto is fun and easy to use.

In the past, I have created Animoto videos to use as a prewriting activity (listing). Students view the video and write down connections or ideas for writing. I usually show the video several times and have students share ideas). Next year, I would like to have students make their own videos and then write using snapshots of the moment.



Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

Prezi

Prezi is a glorified Powerpoint--definitely more interesting to watch than the traditional slideshows we are all used to. I could see making this an option for student presentations. It is easy to do and allows the designer to include videos in addition to pictures and texts.



Makes Beliefs Comix

This site allows students to make their own comics using various scenes, objects and characters. The neat thing about this site, it that it is great for ESL students as it allows students to make their own comics in any language. One great idea I found on the site was:

At the beginning of each new school year have students create a comic strip talking about themselves and their families or summarizing the most important things about their lives. Let each student select a cartoon character as a surrogate to represent her or him. After students complete their strips, encourage them to exchange their comics with classmates to learn more about each other. Students can also create strips that summarize what their individual interests to help a teacher to learn more about them.

For more ideas, click here: Ideas for Teachers.


After trying it on my own, I don't think I will use this with students. With the limited tools and features, it seems that this is more of a gimmick than learning tool. If you find a good classroom use, let me know. But for now, I think I'll stick with Storybird.

Storybird is a creative tool that allows you to write your own story or you can collaborate with a friend. Students would love this! An added bonus is that parents can purchase a hardcover book for as little as $25.95. Softcover books are also available. Check out the price list here--Sweet!

Here's one of my favorites:


1 comment:

RCELibrarian said...

I have enjoyed playing with Prezi...however...just remember that you need the internet to share it...I prepared for a presentation too late to find out I didn't have internet! The kids will enjoy using it and it is most user friendly.
If you go with the "menu" idea for differentiated instruction...many of these tools would be easy to implement with student choices.