Tuesday, June 24, 2008

#12 Blogging with Style

When I first started out as a blogger, I felt isolated and disconnected from the rest of the world (I felt like I was talking to myself). After reading Cool Cat's post, How to Comment Like a King (or Queen!), the point about writing a meaningful comment resonated with me. What do I have to say that's important? Who am I in this whole blogging world? Those are just some of the questions that popped into my mind when I began (and they still arise from time to time). But after awhile (after the newness has worn off a little), I'm discovering how addicting this all can be. I have begun to feel the power of writing to an audience. By interacting with others, I have also gained new ideas and insights. So, while lurking is o.k., I'm beginning to understand the importance of leaving comments from time to time--especially when I feel I have something worthwhile to say (and sometimes even when I don't). And I don't know about everyone else, but I feel compelled to write back to someone after he or she have left a comment. After all, if someone took the time to write a comment, the least I can do is to respond back. While searching around, I stumbled upon this older (slightly different) version of the article above: Ten Blogging Habits that Win by Cool Cat. There are two different things mentioned I find important. First, it mentions the fact the title of each post is important. I know it's the first thing I look for when reading other people's blogs (and also something I know I can improve upon). Second, it mentions the importance of incorporating pictures into your posts. Makes sense! While I do not recommend PhotoBucket (as mentioned in the article), I agree that including pictures makes the reading even more enjoyable. I just haven't quite figured out the best way to do that (besides using flickr or piscasa--neither one helps much here). If anyone knows of a good place to start, please let me know! In the meantime, guess I'm off to lurk (and comment) on other's people's blogs. How fun!

3 comments:

KRM said...

Sometimes the best place to start with pictures is your own digital camera or files of pictures you have taken. We all have a little "artist" lurking inside ;)

VWB said...

i use Flickr Creative Commons or MS clipart for most of mine, unless like krm said, I take my own picutres!

nancym said...

Hi You are the reciient of my random daily blogger response. I too felt more of a blogger identity
after completing Blogging with Style. I like how it told ways to get more chit chat and to stay on topic though I find that really difficult. At time I'd rather write about something personal like food or pets. At first I too felt at a loss for how and what to say. I describe myself as a holey blue jeans style of blogger and include the initials nscu for "no spell check used." Nancy