Saturday, June 21, 2008

#6 Mosiac Mashups


I tried using different tools, my favorite being the Mosiac Maker. I can see using this with family pictures. Because I do not have family pictures uploaded on my laptop, I chose to do a mosiac using various butterfly pictures. Younger children could do this, perhaps making a mosiac that shows the lifecyle of butterflies, using a different layout. I also used the Trading Card Maker, Flickr Color Pickr, Motivator and Movie Posters. I think I will have students use one of these Flickr toys to present projects that are integrated with Science. I think it would be best to have students take their own pictures so that they can download the photographs as I found the pictures on Flickr to be limiting.

4 comments:

VWB said...

do you mind explain how you found Flickr Creative Commmons to be limiting...what subjects, etc were you looking for?

Amie Graves said...

I was orginally looking for Disney World pictures, but most of the pictures were of a personal nature. I also had a lot of trouble getting some of the pictures to upload correctly on the mosiac. I downloaded all the photos as small images, but many came out blurry or did not fit into the window correctly. I am now experimenting with Picasa. Are all the pictures on that site ok to downlown (copyright wise)? I'm finding that the pictures I've looked at on that site are of a better quality (but I haven't looked at a lot yet).

VWB said...

i don't have a lot of experience with Picasa...however, it is my understanding that they do not separate their copyrighted materials from their copyright-friendly ones...that is the definitie advantage to Flickr Creative Commons.
As to the size of the picture, if you are in Flickr CC you are given meany choices of size to download and you do want to stay in the large/middle size to keep pictures from becoming pixilated upon enlarging.
The choice is yours...you just want to pracitce good copyright procedure...especially when you are posting things online!

cladybug said...

I think this is awesome. I didn't see the value of it until I came to complete think 12. I am amazed how clear the colors are and there are ways to tie them in to math even if only during geometry. Thanks for sharing!